Automated Dispatch System (ADS) Response with SCADA Integration
What is ADS?
- A California ISO (CAISO) business process for adjusting the production power of generation resources so CAISO can maintain stability throughout the grid
- An application Scheduling Coordinators load on their computer to receive CAISO Dispatch Operating Target (DOT) instructions – Executing at the plant is a manual process
- CAISO’s ADS is a secure messaging system that facilitates dispatch instructions to power
generation resources who participate in the real-time energy market
- It’s a CAISO requirement for power producers to comply in response to FERC’s concern with grid reliability
- Power producers must comply with Dispatch Operating Target (DOT) changes within
five (5) minutes
How do I automate my response?
- CAISO sends instructions through their application to eliminate the risk of overloading the grid circuits
- The Scheduling Coordinators manually cascade to the production facilities the control dispatch so DOT compliance is maintained
- Trimark can eliminate the manual process by automating the ADS response within any SCADA system
- Trimark’s T1-S ADS response module integrates your SCADA system with CAISO ADS application to automate acceptance and execution of CAISO’s five-minute dispatch commands, including:
- Start up
- Shut down
- Ancillary service requests
- CAISO allows 90 seconds for your resource to start the action; during this time the T1-S ADS module automatically responds:
- Authenticates the command
- Reviews the instruction against operational criteria
- Executes the command
- Documents the transaction
- These dispatch functions support CAISO’s mission of managing California’s grid in real time
What if I don't respond?
- It will cost you money – if a resource does not comply, pricing for your energy can go negative
ADS Dispatch In Trimark’s Automated System
Trimark’s Integrated ADS Response protects your downside. Instead of requiring your team to manually respond to the dispatch orders, your control room can simply verify the response at their computer as described below.
- If the command meets the acceptance criteria, and the resource can deliver the power characteristic required, the T1-S ADS module will automatically coordinate adjustments across all plant devices (e.g. inverters, energy storage, capacitor banks) to meet the instruction.
- Upon acceptance, CAISO expects the resource to smoothly ramp changes over two minutes to reach the new target. T1-S ADS module ensures that the changes in power characteristics at the point of interconnection occur in a controlled, manner, thereby avoiding grid disturbances.
What does it cost?
- The cost for automated ADS response varies with system integration requirements
- We can integrate with any SCADA system – and have done so with Wind and PV
- Pre-configuration reduces costs for sites with Trimark’s T1-S SCADA
- Please call or email us for a quotation: 916-357-5970 or email@example.com
How long does the system integration take?
- For sites with Trimark T1-S SCADA, we can integrate ADS response module in about one week
- For sites with other SCADA systems, the integration process will require approximately one month
Here are the benefits to you
- Automating your response removes the human element from compliance
- Trimark has automated both PV and Wind SCADA Systems
- You don’t need Trimark’s T1-S SCADA – we can integrate with your existing SCADA system
- You will benefit from Trimark’s 18 years of CAISO compliance expertise in:
- CAISO New Resource Implementation
- CAISO Meter Certification
- CAISO Automated ADS Response