Dispatchable Energy Controller for PV+BESS
Trimark’s Dispatchable Energy Controller (DEC) provides advanced controls that PV+BESS owners and scheduling coordinators require to participate in energy markets, automate charge-discharge decisions, and support regulation. DEC is built on the Modular Energy System Architecture (MESA-DER) standard to support compatibility, access markets, reduce risk, and minimize engineering costs.
Optimize PV+BESS Revenue
Trimark’s Dispatchable Energy Controller (DEC) is a virtual power plant controller (PPC) that provides the advanced controls PV+BESS owners and scheduling coordinators require to participate in energy markets, automate charge-discharge decisions, and support regulation.
- Unifies PV+BESS control strategies.
- Monetize stored power in open energy markets with intelligent bid response.
- Stack multiple BESS control functions to support grid stability imperatives.
- Ensure compatibility among devices and systems, reduce risk, and streamline implementation.
DEC is built on the Modular Energy System Architecture (MESA-DER) standard that was created to support compatibility, access markets, reduce risk, and minimize engineering costs.
Market Support for Utility-Scale PV+BESS
DEC’s advanced controls open market opportunities for BESS and PV+BESS resources. Trimark’s DEC determines the baseload power that the battery and/or PV can support. That’s critical information Scheduling Coordinators need for market bids. DEC applies advanced algorithms that let you sell power (discharge) or charge the battery (from PV or Grid) based on bid obligation
and current market rates.
Reserve and Regulation Markets
DEC supports BESS participation in the lucrative reserve and regulation markets. The system can accept and execute secure AGC dispatches for regulation up and regulation down at the specified ramp rate.
DEC lets your BESS act as a peaker in 5-minute, spin, or non-spin markets. Trimark’s DEC also manages balance of plant, emergency ride through, active power management, and reactive power.
Meet PPA/LGIA Requirements
As required by power purchase and large-generator interconnection agreements, Trimark’s DEC manages plant output according to the energy dispatch schedule thereby supporting both market participation and grid stability.
Support for Scheduling Coordinators
Trimark’s DEC provides sophisticated dispatching workflows required to manage BESS in open energy markets. DEC allows SCs to:
- Easily respond to pricing signals.
- Define output according to forecast load profile.
- Schedule control modes to deliver the desired shape and grid services (e.g. min-max with Active Power Response).
- Define algorithms to optimize output shape using normalized utility input and hourly dispatch.
- Validate the proposed schedule using day-ahead generation forecast and load profiles.
- Schedule operating modes and adjust generation with AGC.
Unify PV+BESS Management for Stability
DEC lets you manage PV and BESS in a coordinated way. DEC will balance plant generation and storage to automatically:
- Regulate voltage, power factor, and real power.
- Manage balance of plant, emergency ride through, active power smoothing.
- Maintain power production within interconnection limit.
- Support frequency response.
- Comply with volt-VAR requirements.
Intelligently Manage Charge/Discharge Events
DEC lets you make informed decisions about resource charge/discharge based on total state-of-charge, generation forecast, contract, etc. It helps:
- Manage charge/discharge decisions based on state-of-charge, generation forecast, contract, etc.
- Prevent violations with finely tuned ramp rate control.
- Comply with regulation and utility requirements.
- Prioritizes battery charge during PV curtailment.
- Avoid grid charging (for sites with ITC considerations).
DEC can accept commands from the balancing authority so you can:
- Operate as Baseload plant in day-ahead market.
- Perform as a peaker to fulfill 5-minute, spin/non-spin dispatches.
- Provide ancillary services.